Skylakins' Ermos Gym Application

What is your Minecraft username?: Skylakins
What is your Discord username?: Skylakins
What gym are you applying for?: Ground/Fairy
Timezone: GMT-6
Do you have experience with holding a staff position (online or in real life)?: I used to be a gym leader for Hallowed Fantasy before the 1.16 update. I'm currently a mod for my friend's stream
How long have you been playing Pokémon/Pixelmon?: I've been playing Pokemon since my childhood and been playing Pixelmon on and off since it first released
Do you play Pokémon/Pixelmon competitively?: I played Pokemon competitively during gen 6, and currently I play it semi competitively
How long can you play per day or week?: As much as needed, I don't currently work so I am free any time of the day
Why should we pick you?: I have a good understanding of team building and match ups, and I try to keep battles fun and engaging for both sides by using out of the ordinary teams and sets
Gym team (Pokémon Showdown Export):
Garchomp @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 190 HP / 94 Def / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draining Kiss
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Trick

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Moonblast
- Psyshock

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Protect

Flygon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Defog

Hiya Skylakins, thank you for taking interest in the gym team! The gym team has reviewed your application for the Ermos gym, and here are some questions we've had:
  • Pokemon such as Kyurem and variants of Protean Greninja are massive threats to the gym by nature, how do plan to play around them?
  • What would you do against a team which stacks hazards? Flygon is quite frail and is unreliable when removing hazards due to it's poor bulk.
  • Why did you decide on Choice Scarf Tapu Fini instead of more defensive Leftovers variant?
And here are the thoughts we've had:
  • There's better options for a more immediate Physical breaking option than Flygon such as Choice Band Mamoswine or Choice Scraf Landorus-Therian
  • Options with abilities that provide the gym immunities to weaknesses that threaten it such as Gastrodon's Storm Drain or Azumarill's Sap Sipper could be more valuable than Garchomp since we feel your team currently lacks Defensive switch-ins to faster Offensive pokemon.
  • A Defensive variant of Tapu Fini which makes use of Leftovers more utility based moves like Defog and Taunt as well as a consistent Fairy STAB in Moonblast rather than a set using Trick and Calm Mind setup
  • Mystical Fire is much more useful for Mega Diancie than the Psyshock you're currently using on it as it can threaten Steel or Grass types wanting to switch in on it
  • Earthquake instead of Protect makes the Gliscor much less passive and allows it to chip away at hazard setters
Thank you for your interest and have a lovely day,
HF Staff and Gym team

Hi, for starters I'll answer your questions.
Clefable can answer Kyurem quite well and even more so after calm mind. as for a Protean Greninja, after i posted my application I did something thinking about primarily Greninja, I have a lot of x4 ice weakness so its likely a Greninja would opt to use ice beam into most my team, which will allow my Fini to switch-in and depending on the set of the Greninja, will allow me to trick and possibly cripple a switch-in, which doesnt really answer the Greninja but will give me opening and more chances to setup with Clefable or Garchomp.
As for hazards, I have M-Diancie to help prevent hazard stacking, and my team is more offensive focused so it would leave much room for hazards, Flygon is mostly there as an offensive pivot and defog, but a Lando-T would probably be better suited, having another water weakness is not ideal though.
Choice scarf Tapu Fini makes use of trick to cripple a possible threat or hazard setter, leaving openings for future setups with Garchomp, Clefable, and Fin.

Now after going over your thoughts, I agree with a lot of it but i also want to go over my reasoning for some of my choices then add my changes afterwards.
Flygon fills the niche role of being an offensive pivot with defog, while also being faster then a Lando-T without a choice scarf, I personally dont like running choice defog cause it puts me into awkward switches. As for Garchomp, it can setup and sweep slightly better then an Azumarill because better coverage, Azumaril doesnt do as much into common threats so I would be sacrificing a lot of offense for situational defense.

Now for my changes
I Agree with swapping Psyshock for Mystical Fire, and I decided to replace both Gliscor and Flygon with a Lando-T and Azumarill which should before do more then what i had before
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Liquidation
- Knock Off

Hiya Skylakins,

Congratulations, you've been ACCEPTED to the Ermos gym!

Welcome back to the team, we wish you the best,
HF Staff and Gym team

Back