Sayau's Ground/Fighting Gym Leader Application

What is your Minecraft username?: Sayau
What is your Discord username? MoMo
What gym are you applying for? Ground/Fighting
Timezone: CST
Do you have experience with holding a staff position (online or in real life)?: Head of Quality Assurance at Senior Team, Senior Studios Board Member, PokeHub Co-Owner (In development on Cobbled 1.19.2)
How long have you been playing Pokémon/Pixelmon?: Pixelmon for 8 years, Pokemon longer.
Do you play Pokémon/Pixelmon competitively?: Yes. Got to 1650~ OU Ladder a couple years ago, haven't played much showdown since. Big fan of draft league though
How long can you play per day or week?: Been playing 10-12hrs per week for the past 3 months
Why should we pick you?: Extremely active and experienced player. I have leadership/teamwork experience and I can handle myself well. Respected in the general pixelmon community, and I think enough current players like me?
Gym team (Pokémon Showdown Export):
That team straight up loses to certain mons. Will edit this post with an updated team once I work one out. I will likely use ground/ghost mega sceptile in game to cover some of my weaknesses, but thats of course unavailable here.

Last edited:

Nocluewhat2do

Staff member
Helper
Hello Sayau!

We have reviewed your team and have a few things for you to consider.

Gastrodon is better off using a specially defensive set. This allows it to check bulky calm mind users like Clefable, Tapu Fini and some Latias or Manaphy sets with Clear Smog & Toxic.
Buzzwole can cover important threats to this gym over Heracross. While Mega-Heracross is powerful, it can be difficult to justify in this gym when Buzzwole acts as a primary answer to opponents such as Kartana & Rillaboom among others.
Sand structures tend to stack several weaknesses in this gym. The combination of Hippowdon & Excadrill can be shifted to options such as Cobalion which offers role compression and some outs against several common threats to the gym. Landorus-T can also provide consistent speed control & hazard control for the team without having to rely on setting up weather.
Kommo-o stacks several weaknesses and has trouble handling cores that are commonly brought to the gym. Being shut down by fairies which the gym can have trouble with already makes Kommo-o hard to fit on a team. Some niche options like Urshifu-R with bulk up & a Z crystal for coverage could help with handling bulky opponents.

Let me know in Discord DMs when you have your final team done!

-Nocluewhat2do

There's what I ended up with. 8-1 on PSD with it, but I'm more used to balanced teams and its not easy to build a defensive core. Nobody's playing gen8 and I haven't really battled anyone too good though.
I feel like a sand team is slightly less consistent but is much stronger overall, giving me a better chance to beat solid players
Hello Sayau!

We have reviewed your team and have a few things for you to consider.

Gastrodon is better off using a specially defensive set. This allows it to check bulky calm mind users like Clefable, Tapu Fini and some Latias or Manaphy sets with Clear Smog & Toxic.
Buzzwole can cover important threats to this gym over Heracross. While Mega-Heracross is powerful, it can be difficult to justify in this gym when Buzzwole acts as a primary answer to opponents such as Kartana & Rillaboom among others.
Sand structures tend to stack several weaknesses in this gym. The combination of Hippowdon & Excadrill can be shifted to options such as Cobalion which offers role compression and some outs against several common threats to the gym. Landorus-T can also provide consistent speed control & hazard control for the team without having to rely on setting up weather.
Kommo-o stacks several weaknesses and has trouble handling cores that are commonly brought to the gym. Being shut down by fairies which the gym can have trouble with already makes Kommo-o hard to fit on a team. Some niche options like Urshifu-R with bulk up & a Z crystal for coverage could help with handling bulky opponents.

Let me know in Discord DMs when you have your final team done!

-Nocluewhat2do

Harmonic_Melody

Helper
Hello, Sayau! Hope your day is going well.

After reading over your reply, I wanted to take the time to recommend you to the idea of practicing this team against gym leaders or other players in HF who have/can build set teams that counter Ground/Fighting. Battling random players on Showdown won't guarantee your practice against specific countering teams, and most likely they will not have a team built to counter only two types in particular. Just a suggestion I thought would be nice for you!

Is this your final team ready for testing?

-Rivvi (Harmonic_Melody)

Hello, Sayau! Hope your day is going well.

After reading over your reply, I wanted to take the time to recommend you to the idea of practicing this team against gym leaders or other players in HF who have/can build set teams that counter Ground/Fighting. Battling random players on Showdown won't guarantee your practice against specific countering teams, and most likely they will not have a team built to counter only two types in particular. Just a suggestion I thought would be nice for you!

Is this your final team ready for testing?

-Rivvi (Harmonic_Melody)
Thanks! I've been asking almost every day in chat, and I have battled a couple. I think I can build better teams for other open gyms, but this will have to do. Not extremely confident, but if this is reccomended over a sand team I'll go with it. I talked to Giyu who, if im not mistaken, mentioned helping out with teams after some trials, so I'd be happy to do that.