Pending Review SimpleWaffle's Ground/Fighting Application

6 replies
Vote Points:
+130
Reactions:
IGN: SimpleWaffle

Gym you're applying for: Ground/Fighting

Timezone: EST

Experience with being a gym leader: No experience in being a gym leader.

How long have you been playing Pokemon/Pixelmon?: I have been playing Pokemon for about 8 years, and Pixelmon for 4 years.

Do you play Pokemon competitively?: Not too much, but I have participated in some Pokemon Showdown Competitive Tournaments.

How long can you play per day?: I can play for about 3 - 6 hours a day, though it may vary depending on my schedule for the week.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate yourself at competitive battling?: I would rate myself a 5.5. Like I said, I don't play competitive too often. However, when I do, my teams are usually comprised of hardcore research and great Pokemon.

Why should we pick you: I believe I am a fitting candidate for the Ground/Fighting gym. The Pokemon I have chosen for my team fit the criteria and are, from a competitive perspective, good. Not to mention I am a very active player, usually spending my whole entire day on the server, and I can offer the battling experience to challengers whenever.

Team:

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Close Combat
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower

Garchomp
@ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 212 HP / 144 Def / 152 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake

Excadrill
@ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Infernape
@ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

I am open to all suggestions and feedback, so please don't hesitate to comment on any of my choices!
RqwOUro.gif
Posted Apr 10, 19 · OP · Last edited Apr 13, 19
KushLicious
KushLicious @ Hallowed Fantasy
Vote Points:
+42
Reactions:
+4
LEVEL 1
The infernape and garchomp set are a tad bit outdatted, if your looking for a damage dealing infernape consider a LO nasty plot to balance out your lack of special attack users and try and take a look at a rocky helmet garchomp.

I also strongly suggest dumping that Swampert, special Swampert hasnt been a thing since gen 3.

Scarffed Tapu Lele (Timid 252 SpA and Speed) runs through your whole team besides Swampert(2hit) like it was paper with Psychic and Moonblast.
yDOR8vL.png
Posted Apr 11, 19 · Last edited Apr 11, 19
Vote Points:
+130
Reactions:
Thanks for the feedback, Kush. I attempted to patch a few holes in my team, while also replacing some of my original Pokemon with ones that would fit better. I have taken out Infernape, Swampert, Flygon, and Conkeldurr, replaced with Nidoking, Hawlucha, Kommo-o, and Diggersby.
RqwOUro.gif
Posted Apr 11, 19 · OP
KushLicious
Vote Points:
+42
Reactions:
+4
LEVEL 1
Hi, liked the changes but still have some suggestions based on that new team.

Firstly altho the Nidoking came in and helped patch up the big fairy weakness Scarffed Tapu Lele still poses a big threat, secondly the Hawlucha ZMove doesnt really seem like that great of a choice IMO, id run Kommo-O as the Zmove here while also making him a mixed set like
this to cover for your still lacking Special attack presence.

After that Id consider making the Hawlucha use the standard Terrain Seed set (but since Seeds are not a thing yet I recommend Flying/Fighting Gem).

Finally I dont think that Facade Flame Orb Diggersby is a safe bet considering the fighthing type gym already encourages a ghost presence while also damaging your potential overall damage by a significant ammount, instead Id recommend running either a choice band for all out damage or a choice scarf for some speed control. (Banded set will cover for your teams weakness to Tapu Lele (Return is a 1 hit) if scarffed and not locked in Focus Blast, Scarffed (Return is a 2 hit) will not outspeed but it does provide a slight speed control with potential for big damage with STAB+Huge Power)
these are the 2 sets.

Good luck!
yDOR8vL.png
Posted Apr 12, 19
Vote Points:
+130
Reactions:
Once again, I appreciate the suggestions from you Kush. As for my team, I have put in a new Diggersby moveset with the Choice Band that you advised. I've also taken out Hawlucha and replaced him with a Keldeo. I really feel like you can't go wrong with Keldeo, as he is a strong special attacker that is a fighting type, which my team is in need of. For Kommo-o, I'm still sticking with the Salac Berry as I believe the moveset possesses devastating power once able to perform the substitute and belly drum. Thanks for the comment, as you can clearly see I take advantage of your advice and implement it into my team. Please feel free to discuss any other issues you have noticed!
RqwOUro.gif
Posted Apr 12, 19 · OP
KushLicious
Vote Points:
+42
Reactions:
+4
LEVEL 1
Hey there, again a fast psychic type such as a scarffed Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam are a big problem for your team the best way I can think of dealing with them with the current team is having a scarffed Keldeo to outspeed both and drop their speed by 1 only to then still need a scarffed Diggersby to revenge kill with Return which I dont really see as an "healthy" option, but at the end of the day no team is perfect.

Moving aside from the problem your core has lets take a quick look at Nidoking for starters youre not really in need of running a physical move on him (especially a fighthing one) I also dont recomend Modest unless you are using Scarf (basically im saying you might wanna go Timid), and finally as it stands your team has no acess to either putting down hazards or clearing them, I suggest maybe considering a Gliscor for the role of Defog and even hazards at the same time.

Small update: was browsing some old pokepastes i had of monotype teams and found this set for a mega steelix who can tank a focus blast from non specs Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam while one shoting both with a gyro ball. Hope it helps in case you consider it over Medicham.

Good luck!
yDOR8vL.png
Posted Apr 13, 19 · Last edited Apr 13, 19
Vote Points:
+130
Reactions:
Alright, I've given in and changed up my team quite a bit. I switched out Diggersby, Nidoking, and Keldeo for Excadrill, Infernape, and Hippowdon. I've realized through showdown matches that a quick taunt can stifle the whole entire plan I had for Kommo-o, so I put in a moveset that you insisted I should. However, I am not switching out Mega-Medicham, who I believe is going to be a very hard-hitter.
RqwOUro.gif
Posted Apr 13, 19 · OP · Last edited Apr 13, 19
NoticeNotices