Vote Points:
+310
Reactions:
+2
LEVEL 1
IGN: Issaka

Gym you're applying for: Grass & Rock

Timezone: GMT+0 (United Kingdom)

Experience with being a gym leader: I was the Grass Gym Leader on a previous server, beyond this however I have some experience with monotype competitive battling, though again this is quite limited.

How long have you been playing Pokémon/Pixelmon?: I started getting particularly interested in competitive battling in Gen 5, though at the time I didn't really understand much about team composition or the need for different Pokemon filling different niches. I really began to apply myself in competitive battling during Gen 6 and 7, though my default competitive format is VGC/Doubles. With that said, I have battled in Singles formats and understand the nuanced differences between the two ways of battling.

Do you play Pokémon/Pixelmon competitively?: As above, I still try and play competitively. I would say that I hover around the 'post-Smogon' position, in that I will do primary research on Pokemon through websites like Smogon, though when it comes to creating movesets, etc., I'm growing in confidence in making my own.

On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate yourself at competitive battling?: 7-ish. Problematically, I use the Pokemon that I like rather than the Pokemon that are 'objectively good'. Because of that, I do lose a number of battles, though often it is about finding how to apply certain Pokemon to the Meta. With that said, I know I'm not the best battler out there. I'm fairly good at predictions, but I'm not good at predicting whether the opponent is a conventional battler or not.

How long can you play per day?: I work full-time 8:00-16:00, however I am further ahead than the server's general user base timezone wise, so my evening is your daytime/early evening. I would be around most evening for a few hours, depending on how busy the server gets.

Why should we pick you?: I like battling on the server, but beyond the tourneys and occasionally battling with friends over and over again, there's nothing new to do. Being a gym leader would be beneficial (for me) to find new ways to battle and to re-engage with the server, but also because I like to think that people on the server like me and see me as approachable and friendly enough to ask to battle. I feel like I can bring value to the server's wider community, particularly in giving new players reasons to stay - with the number of players that AFK or ghost/shadow the chat, I think new players can feel a bit alienated. I think having active and interactive Gym Leaders will encourage new players to feel the server is an environment they would like to stay in.

Spoiler: Gym team (Pokemon Showown Export):Show

Cheers ~~
Posted Apr 9, 19 · OP · Last edited Apr 15, 19
KushLicious
KushLicious @ Hallowed Fantasy
Vote Points:
+42
Reactions:
+4
LEVEL 1
Really quick remark before I analyze the team further, why the trick room Staka only to use neutral or positive speed natures and even a tailwind?

Secondly I wouldnt use GDrain+leech+synt all at once in a Venussaur.

Good luck!
yDOR8vL.png
Posted Apr 9, 19
Issaka
Issaka @ Hallowed Fantasy
Vote Points:
+310
Reactions:
+2
LEVEL 1
Yeah, when I first started the team I wanted to go down the TR route, but as I progressed further it became clear that I couldn't get it to run the way I wanted it to. I really should just remove him and put in someone else that would utilise the Speed Boosting, maybe even some Sun integration.

As for the over-healing on Venusaur, I'll have a look into that. I've found it successful up until now, but I suppose I haven't tried reducing down the healing moves to see if it can still run in another way.
Posted Apr 9, 19 · OP
Issaka
Vote Points:
+310
Reactions:
+2
LEVEL 1
One option I think might work well is swapping out Stakataka with a straight-out attacker, either Aggron or Rhydon.

Here's the standard Rhydon set I suppose:

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Reckless/Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast

I've also swapped out Jumpluff with Bulu, because despite me desperately wanting to use the Pokemon I like, I appreciate the gym leader position requires adherence to good competitive Pokemon. Bulu I'm running is:

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Bulk Up
- Megahorn
- Superpower
Posted Apr 9, 19 · OP · Last edited Apr 9, 19
KushLicious
KushLicious @ Hallowed Fantasy
Vote Points:
+42
Reactions:
+4
LEVEL 1
Hey there for future reference update the original post with the new team.

Also based on those 2 mons id like to offer you an alternative set for both.
https://pokepast.es/1036be29d34c8075 the rhyperior set can tank a solarbeam from a very large threat to your team, Charizard Y while 1hitting it in the process and doubling down as a few utility moves and being able to break through sashed mons, the Bulu besides providing the EQ damage reduction+healing utility from his terrain also packs quite a punch while dealing with another threat (Hawlucha) fairly well (until electric seed is a thing at least) 1 hitting it with zen headbutt or denting it quite well with stone edge while also posing a threat with a healthy variety of coverage moves.

Once again, good luck!
yDOR8vL.png
Posted Apr 9, 19
Issaka
Vote Points:
+310
Reactions:
+2
LEVEL 1
Thanks for the ideas, Kush - they're much appreciated.

I'll jump on Showdown and see how I get on with the Bulu and Rhyperior updates.
Posted Apr 9, 19 · OP
Issaka
Vote Points:
+310
Reactions:
+2
LEVEL 1
I know it's a bit late in the tooth, but I've updated the team after more matches on Showdown.
Posted Apr 15, 19 · OP
calamitous_king
calamitous_king @ Hallowed Fantasy
Vote Points:
+29
Reactions:
+45
LEVEL 3
Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Thunder Wave

There is no reason to be running Aurorus in this gym, its 4x weak to steel and fighting which are already common threats, the hail does nothing but damage your own team, and its not gonna live long enough to be useful. I would recommend a different rock type like Nihilego to replace it if you're looking for speed and power. Good luck.
tumblr_n8asnjCK951ttdkobo1_400.gif
Posted Thu at 03:52 pm
Issaka
Vote Points:
+310
Reactions:
+2
LEVEL 1
We put the Aurorus in there after a couple of tests with Kush because weather teams were problematic for my team (or at least in the trials we did), but I take that on board.

I'll have a play around with Nihilego and see how that goes, can't say I've ever used one.
Posted Thu at 05:09 pm · OP
NoticeNotices